Is it Time to Change your Court Order or Separation Agreement?

Separation and Divorce Family Law Lawyers

Every year after Christmas, Wal-Mart puts tupperware and storage bins up at the front of the store because they are big sellers. January is a natural time to take stock your life. It’s time to pack away the old things you no longer need so you can focus on the important things in front of you. It’s time to put those lights and decorations away for next year and to put that ugly sweater your cousin gave you in the “re-gift” pile.

January is also a good time to deal with the things that are causing your mind to feel cluttered. For people who have been through a separation, it might be time to dust off that old court order or separation agreement to see if it still makes sense today.

Things change, children grow up, people change jobs, get sick, or find a new partner. Sometimes those life events are significant enough to be considered a “change in material circumstances.” In family law, when there has been a change in material circumstances it may be possible to rework your arrangement and change the amount of spousal support, child support, or to revisit your custody and parenting plan.

If you have any questions about separation agreements you can call us at (902) 826-3070 or email us at to set up a meeting with one of our lawyers at our Tantallon law firm. You can also schedule a no commitment Issue Review Consult for $100+HST where you have the opportunity to explain your situation to a lawyer and get basic advice before deciding whether or not you'd like to retain us.  

By: Dianna M. Rievaj, MBA, LLB - Founding Lawyer

The information and materials on this blog are provided for general informational purposes only and are not intended to be legal advice. Nothing contained on this blog is legal advice or constitutes a legal opinion. While it is our goal to provide information which is current, legislative changes and court decisions, among other matters, may result in some information no longer being current or accurate. You should consult a lawyer before relying on any information. The views expressed herein by individual contributing lawyers posting entries to the blog are solely those of the authors and should not necessarily be attributed to or considered representative of the firm of Highlander Law Group Lawyers