How to Register a Builder’s Lien

Builder's Lien, Corporate, Debt Collection

Placing a Builder’s Lien in Nova Scotia is an option available to contractors like roofers, plumbers, electricians, landscapers and carpenters who have done work to improve a property and are concerned that they are not going to get paid. A Builders’ Lien is not available in all circumstances, but the definition is pretty broad. You do not even have to have completed the work you contracted to do to place a Lien.

Your ability to place a Lien in Nova Scotia expires 60 days after your last day on the job so its important to seek legal advice as soon as you begin to suspect payment and debt collection will be an issue.

The Lien is registered at the Nova Scotia Land Registration office against the property where you have done the work and will name the property owner, and if there is one, the general contractor. You will need to provide details to the lawyer placing the Lien including: a brief description of the work you did, the date you completed work, the amount you are owed (less any payments to date) and the address of the property where the work was done. The lawyer will prepare this information in a document called the Claim of Lien for Registration.  You will be provided with an opportunity to review this document and confirm its accuracy in a sworn statement called an Affidavit. Once your claim is registered, the other side will have to be notified that you have done so.

Often just registering the Lien is enough incentive for them to make payment, particularly if they are waiting on construction draws (the bank won’t allow further financing to be released if there is a Lien on the property). If you negotiate and receive payment, a lawyer will vacate (remove) the Lien.

If you do not negotiate payment, then the Lien will be valid on the property until exactly 105 days after your last day on the job.  At that point if you do nothing it will expire.  To keep the Lien in force you have to take a second step called ‘Perfection’. To perfect the Lien, you must start an action in Nova Scotia Supreme Court by filing a Statement of Claim and registering a court filed document called a ‘Lis Pendens’ at the Land Registration office. At this point you are in a law suit against the other party. You can continue to negotiate while working through the procedural steps of the law suit. If negotiations are unsuccessful a judge will decide whether you are owed any money and how much.

If you have any questions about builder’s liens you can call us at (902) 826-3070 or email us at to set up a meeting with one of our lawyers at our Tantallon law firm. You can also schedule a no commitment Issue Review Consult for $100+HST where you have the opportunity to explain your situation to a lawyer and get basic advice before deciding whether or not you'd like to retain us.  

By: Dianna M. Rievaj, MBA, LLB - Founding Lawyer

The information and materials on this blog are provided for general informational purposes only and are not intended to be legal advice. Nothing contained on this blog is legal advice or constitutes a legal opinion. While it is our goal to provide information which is current, legislative changes and court decisions, among other matters, may result in some information no longer being current or accurate. You should consult a lawyer before relying on any information. The views expressed herein by individual contributing lawyers posting entries to the blog are solely those of the authors and should not necessarily be attributed to or considered representative of the firm of Highlander Law Group Lawyers