Sorry Trump-dodgers but you can’t just “move to Canada”.

Immigration, Government

But here is some basic information on your options if you are interested

Tired of the “land of the free and the home of the brave” and more interested in “Peace, Order and Good Government”? Bonus points if you know the significance of that second phrase (hint: we had a somewhat easier time leaving British rule). Canada may be the place for you and many of you have recently expressed a desire to move here. Although your passport provides you with a relatively easy means to visit us, you are generally not allowed to stay for more than 6 months and you are certainly not allowed to work here during that time. With a Trump presidency lasting at least 4 years, this may not be enough.

However, all is not lost! If you have the right stuff and you apply through the proper channels, our country welcomes numerous immigrants and temporary workers from all over the world every year. Here are a few ways you can apply to legally live and work in Canada:

Study Permit

You can apply for a permission to come here to live and study at one of our many internationally recognized post-secondary learning institutions. It is possible to work on campus while you are here and it is also possible to obtain a permit to work off campus during your studies. Most university programs are four years and so that should at least get you out for his first term. You also have the option of applying for a post-graduate temporary work permit following your studies.

Temporary Work Permit

Generally, you will be applying for a closed work permit that allows you to work for a specified employer for a specified period. To obtain this permit, you need a job offer from a Canadian employer who may need a positive Labour Market Impact Assessment (that is how you spell “Labour” by the way, get used to it) that demonstrates that they need to hire a foreign worker because they are unable to fill the position with a Canadian worker.

Permanent Residence

You can also apply for permanent residence in Canada through the express entry program which can eventually lead to you applying for Canadian Citizenship. There are several pathways at the federal level to express entry and there are also provincial (we have provinces not states) nominee programs that can provide a path to permanent residence here. However, most of these programs are targeted at skilled professionals and trades people where a shortage of such skilled workers exists. There are also programs that target people with Canadian work experience and people with significant assets that they can invest in Canada.

Immigration to Canada is a lengthy and sometimes difficult process. It is also important to note that not everyone qualifies for every program and not every immigration application is successful. So, if you are interested, I suggest you get in touch with me as soon as possible after election night. Hopefully we can get you out before the walls start going up.

If you have any questions about who can move to Canada you can call us at (902) 826-3070 or email us at to set up a meeting with one of our lawyers at our Tantallon law firm. You can also schedule a no commitment Issue Review Consult for $100+HST where you have the opportunity to explain your situation to a lawyer and get basic advice before deciding whether or not you'd like to retain us.  

-Dianna M. Rievaj - Managing Lawyer

The information and materials on this blog are provided for general informational purposes only and are not intended to be legal advice. Nothing contained on this blog is legal advice or constitutes a legal opinion. While it is our goal to provide information which is current, legislative changes and court decisions, among other matters, may result in some information no longer being current or accurate. You should consult a lawyer before relying on any information. The views expressed herein by individual contributing lawyers posting entries to the blog are solely those of the authors and should not necessarily be attributed to or considered representative of the firm of Highlander Law Group Lawyers